[Techtalk] Anyone here have experience working on a Cobalt Qube?

Colleen Hatfield evilpig at gmail.com
Mon May 2 00:42:14 EST 2005

On 4/30/05, Emily Berk <emily at armadillosoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Colleen:
>
> Have you ever done this, or have you just read about it and want to do it?

Done what?  Enabled the telnet server in CobaltOS?  Yes, I have - I
ran CobaltOS on my Raq for a brief interval before putting Debian on
it.

> So, what I need is very specific information about how my client should  navigate the GUI on the Qube to make it possible for me to telnet and/or SSH and then very specific information about what I need to set up the telnet and/or SSH session so I can just change the file permissions and get on with my life.

For specific, step-by-step instructions (with pictures even!), you
can't do better than TFM.  Manuals for all the Cobalt products are
available from Sun in PDF form at
http://www.cobalt.com/hardware/serverappliances/documentation/discontinued.html.

Getting telnet access is not a challenging process.  Just make sure
you've got a user account that has been granted shell access, and
click the little box to enable the telnet server.   The challenging
part, of course, is walking someone through the steps on a web
interface you've never seen, so I do understand your frustration about
that ;-).

- Colleen