[Techtalk] Performance monitoring

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 20 09:18:41 EST 2005

Orca. It rocks. Will run on Solaris, Linux, and Windows; mailing list
traffic talked about a ?BSD version but I don't know its status. Here
is one example page:
http://www.dennett.org/orca/procallator/o_bigoak.dennett.org-daily.html

Download the software from http://www.orcaware.com/orca/ The install
and configuration docs are in the tar file; mainly it is 'make, make
install' unless you have to grab some things from CPAN. Basics are
that you have a perl program that runs on the machines to be
monitored. It wakes up every 5 minutes, takes some stats and writes to
a file. On Linux, the stats are mostly taken from reading the /proc/
file system.

To view the data, you transfer the files to a machine that has orca
and RRDTool. A perl script on that machine wakes up periodically,
parses the files and creates/adds to a series of RRDTool databases,
and then creates web pages of interlinked graphs for all the data. You
can see history information on the scale of hours, days, weeks, and
months. Interlinks mean that it is easy to look at all stats for one
machine - or the day's memory stats across your whole cluster.