[Techtalk] Re: moving LVM volume to different computer

Jeannette jcv at hise.org
Sun Mar 13 10:18:26 EST 2005

Whew! I got it fixed. I was running all the commands from the GUI, so that
I could follow these How-tos, and it turned out that the error messages
were only going to the console. Anyway, after moving the drives back and
forth MANY times and rebooting more often than I can count, one time I
just ran the commands from the console, and I got an error message telling
me to run vgscan, which was all it took to get it running! (Well, maybe; I
did check out the major and minor numbers that the node in /dev had on the
working system, and created that by hand on the new system; I don't know
if vgscan would've created it for me or not.

Either way, it is up and running, and I built a new desk today and set up
a tidy computing environment for myself!

Jeannette