[Techtalk] moving LVM volume to different computer

Jeannette jcv at hise.org
Sun Mar 13 01:11:19 EST 2005

Hi!

I have had an mp3 server set up for a couple of years, and it is currently
running Fedora Core 1. At some point in time I learned just enough about
LVM to set up one 150 GB logical volume. Due to some recent changes, I
have decided to move this volume to another system I have, so that I only
have to keep one system running (this system is currently running Fedora
Core 2).

Unfortunately, I can't get the volume to become active on the new server,
and I am hoping that someone can point me to the right place for the
error. I have been following the instructions in various How-Tos, but when
the instructions finish with "now mount your volume!" my volume is still
inactive. I don't even have the node in /dev for my volume (I think this
might be the cause of my problem?)

Here is the output of the steps I have done:
[root at osiris root]# pvscan
  PV /dev/hdb   VG mp3_vg   lvm1 [74.52 GB / 0    free]
  PV /dev/hdd   VG mp3_vg   lvm1 [74.52 GB / 48.00 MB free]
  Total: 2 [149.05 GB] / in use: 2 [149.05 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]

[root at osiris root]# vgchange -ay mp3_vg
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "mp3_vg" now active

On the how-tos I have looked at, there is no indication of what I should
see as a result of the previous command, but I personally would expect it
to say that it found one volume group.

Provided for more information:
[root at osiris root]# lvscan
  inactive          '/dev/mp3_vg/mp3_lv' [149.00 GB] next free
[root at osiris root]# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/mp3_vg/mp3_lv
  VG Name                mp3_vg
  LV UUID                000000-0000-0000-0000-0000-0000-000000
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                149.00 GB
  Current LE             38144
  Segments               2
  Allocation             next free
  Read ahead sectors     10000

Do I need to do something to "prepare" this server to use LVM or mknod
/dev/mp3_vg?

Thanks for any pointers!

Jeannette