[Techtalk] Recommend a pswd manager?

Julie Bovee joulie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 11:17:16 EST 2005

Can anyone recommend a good Linux general-purpose password manager?
I'm overwhelmed trying to keep track of all of my logins to various
machines, web sites, and such. I find that I do all kinds of unsafe
things with this info that I would ridicule other people for doing.
I'm not following my own advice :-(
I need a more secure, easily accessible method.

A co-worker of mine swears by PasswordSafe
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/) but it's Windows-only
and I'm trying to permanently "break up" with Windows, so that won't
do, though the project home page does list some unix clones of unknown
reputability. I run Gentoo, so I looked into what pkgs. were available
there and found a few more, FPM and KEDPM both on Sourceforge, but
they haven't had any activity in a long time, so I'm uncertain about
them.

I'm desperate enough, I've even considered creating my own little
encrypted database and putting a Web SSL front-end on it (should be
quick & easy to do), but then there's that pesky browser caching
problem to think about...... and I'm sure I could dream up other
annoying security holes if I actually sat down and thought about it
(though it would probably still be lots safer than what I do right
now). If it were truly easy to do, someone else would probably already
have done it.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm tired of being so diligent about
security when I'm at work and then coming home and being so pitiful.

Thanks,
Julie
--
"I think, therefore, I yam what I yam." - Popeye on Descartes :)