[Techtalk] Postfix and ODMR

conor.daly at cod.utvinternet.com conor.daly at cod.utvinternet.com
Sun Mar 6 11:18:44 EST 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 07:47:40PM +0000 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
conor.daly at cod.utvinternet.com thought:
> So I'm nearly there...  I've got an exim server on the DMZ storing
> incoming email.  Inside the LAN, my server runs fetchmail with protocol
> ODMR to have the exim server send on the mail.  The internal server runs
> postfix.  Now, postfix already accepts incoming mail via fetchmail pop but
> such mail is being delivered to specified users.  When the ODMR run
> happens, postfix just queues the incoming messages for relaying.  When I
> set a couple of first.last at example.com -> username at localhost mappings in
> /etc/postfix/virtual , I ended up with postfix hanging all the fetchmail
> processes.  I reckon I have it down to postfix config at this point.  The
> exim server is accepting mail for its defined domains and is forwarding it
> on demand.  So, the question is:
>
> What do I need to do with postfix so that it will:
>   1.  See the odmr domains as domains it owns
>   2.  Properly map first.last at example.com -> user at localhost
>
> I suspect 2 will just work once I figure out 1.

And the answer is...

1. edit /etc/postfix/virtual and add virtual domains for the odmr domains.

	example.com	ODMR #the second field can be anything
	postmaster at example.com	postmaster #Standard postmaster forwarding
	first.last at example.com	user #Individual address rewrites.

	example2.com	ODMR #A second virtual domain

add the following line to /etc/postfix/main.cf

virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

The crucial thing that left postfix hanging was that I forgot to run

postmap /etc/postfix/virtual

Once I ran that, my new domains were picked up and all seems to work...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)