[Techtalk] hwclock problems

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Fri Mar 4 21:13:44 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 09:49:18AM +0000 or thereabouts, Dan wrote:
> I'm running Debian (Sarge). When I run the hwclock.sh startup script, it
> just hangs: /sbin/hwclock never terminates. Since this script is called
> on startup, I have to kill it manually using Ctrl+C or else the machine
> never boots. However, when the machine boots, the system displays the
> correct time. What's going on?

Caveat: I'm not familiar with debian.

hwclock is generally used at startup and shutdown to set the system clock
from the hardware clock or vice versa.  It's probably the case that the
clock gets set before hwclock fails to terminate.  What happens if you run
the hwclock command (extracted from the script) after you're booted?

Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.