[Techtalk] ADSL Modem

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Jun 17 17:29:54 EST 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005, Noir wrote:
> I am considering http://www.bizmail.com.au/fastadsl.php and their adsl
> modem is Billion 5100 ADSL Modem with 4ports built-in router and 1
> filter. I basically run *bsd/ *nix. So far, I know this modem _does
> not_ have USB. Has anyone ever used this modem? Anything else I need
> to look for?

Having an Ethernet connection (rather than USB or anything else) to an
ADSL modem is generally a good thing, because it's very generic. You
won't need a specific driver to talk to the modem: the Ethernet ones you
generally connect to, make sure you're on the same network as the modem
(this one will probably have a DHCP server, so you can let it tell you
which IP address to use) and configure over a web server. It is much
more likely to work with Linux.

-Mary