[Techtalk] linux installation on powerbook

Lucia Sanchez lu at gusilu.net
Thu Jun 9 22:57:49 EST 2005

Bora Özden wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Someone is trying to install linux on an powerbook  on a hard disk full
> with Macosx. He wants to repartion the drive (HFS) for creating space
> and partitions for linux. He wants to dual boot linux+Macosx. He doesnt
> have the Macosx setup cd. So he needs to be carefull against losing
> data. I looked for a good tool for repartitioning under Macosx but the
> programs i found that people use for this aim are not free (yes the free
> like the free beer). He wants advice, away little from me. Anyone to
> recommende a solution?

I've heard that parted does the job well, though it takes forever (hours
and hours); so I guess that it's just a matter of finding a live Linux
CD (for PowerPC) which includes parted.

I've never used it (I opted for reinstalling the whole HD, since I had
de Mac OS X install CD), so you should probably look for more info about
parted if no-one else comes up with a different tool.

--
Lu.