[Techtalk] Inexpensive ATA/SATA RAID?

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Sun Jul 31 23:43:38 EST 2005

On Jul 30, 2005, at 3:11 PM, jennyw wrote:

> I actually have the same 3Ware card in another computer, but it
> keeps having problems and shutting down. I keep meaning to find out
> what's going on but am too busy to hunt it down right now. Might be
> a BIOS thing ...
>
> But it's good to know you're not having troubles at all! What
> driver are you using? And kernel? And does it make any difference
> which distribution? I thought it was a kernel thing, but some
> manufacturers say they only support certain distributions ... not
> sure what that means ...

Disclaimer: I used these cards in Linux about 2 years ago - I've
since switched the system over to FreeBSD which has better disk
encryption support..

With that in mind, I don't remember using any special drivers.  I
would have been using woody though - as the system was using
"testing".  Definately a 2.4 kernel, with the CryptoAPI/International
patches (used to be at kerneli.org).   I know 3ware provides some
kernel drivers, but I don't remember using them, just the plain old
kernel with encrypted file system support enabled.

Elwing