[Techtalk] Different usage betweed df and du

Gretchen Dziengel gdziengel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 08:15:09 EST 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:55:05AM +1000 or thereabouts, Sue Stones wrote:
> What it the likely cause of this difference?  How do I go about sorting
> it out?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help.
>
> sue

I'm sure you've done this already, but I'd double check the command line
parameters that you're passing to du.  When I first started using it, I
had it report smaller sizes too, but I don't remember what I was doing
wrong.

If it's something more wrong than files you haven't found, the rest of
this won't help you, but it's something to try.

I'm not sure what window manager you are using but I've found the
program 'kdirstat' to be very useful in tracking down where large files
are.  It gives you a graphical picture of each file as a block, the
bigger the file the larger the block.  I found out once that some log
files I was keeping but had forgotten about had grown to 200MB by using
that tool.

If that's not an option I use 'du -sh *' for a summary of how much each
directory in my home directory is using.  That doesn't do hidden
directories though.

--
Gretchen