[Techtalk] Removing Grub from MBR

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Jan 22 04:39:07 EST 2005

On Friday 21 January 2005 8:33 am, Megan Duchamps wrote:
> I have a laptop that shared Windows ME and SuSE. Yesterday, I reinstalled
> Windows ME on the entire HD. Relax, SuSE is moving to another, bigger disk
> ;) Well, the whole recovery CD process worked fine, until it rebooted. I got
> a grub prompt, and am not able to get past it. There are some commands there
> when I type help or hit tab at the prompt, but I cannot execute them. I
> don't know if the question is appropriate here, but how do I remove grub, or
> the remnants of it from the MBR? Is there some sort of free utility that is
> able to do that?

The all-time champion useful Windows rescue disk is the Windows Startup Disk.
It fits on a single floppy disk. You can make one from Windoze 98/ME. The 95
version is also useful, but it does not support booting a CD.

Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Startup Disk tab - Create Disk

Then you can boot this disk and run 'fdisk /mbr'

You may also download rescue disks from here:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Carla Schroder
http://www.tuxcomputing.com
check out my new book, the "Linux Cookbook", the ultimate Linux user's
and sysadmin's guide! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail