[Techtalk] SCSI solved now Fedora problems

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jan 20 14:28:20 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 03:47:33PM -0800, Lucky Lady wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
> Thanks, that fixed it. However, the file was called
> XF86Config (/etc/X11/XF86Config)

Which version of Fedora is this? Or did it get upgraded from one to another?
At some point, the X server was switched to the X.org one, because of the
whole brouhaha.

> Now on to the browser/internet issues. This box was assigned a Class A
> (10.x.x.x.) Static IP address. I can ping other boxes on our network, but
> no outside sources. I'm thinking that this is a good thing, because we
> don't want anyone (from the outside) to be able to access the backup
> server.

Yeah, the 10.x.x.x range is one of the reserved-for-internal-use networks,
generally used behind firewalls. But I dunno why that'd make mozilla slow.

You may want to try disabling IPv6: put

  # disable IPv6
  alias net-pf-10 off

in /etc/modprobe.conf. And maybe also put this in /etc/sysctl.conf:

   # Controls TCP window scaling; having a larger number here could increase
   # performance, but unfortunately would also cause trouble with broken
   # routers. Setting to 0 assures connectivity even through these broken
   # system. See <http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/>
   net.ipv4.tcp_default_win_scale = 0