[Techtalk] SCSI solved now Fedora problems

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Thu Jan 20 11:15:46 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 03:47:33 -0800, Lucky Lady wrote:

> Now on to the browser/internet issues. This box was
> assigned a Class A (10.x.x.x.) Static IP address. I
> can ping other boxes on our network, but no outside

Does it have a default route?  e.g.:

    [root at dropbear ~]$ route|grep default
    default       wombat.vastsyst 0.0.0.0       UG    0     0      0 eth0

and does the gateway (the destination of the default route) do NAT or
masquerading?

If the machine has a default route, but the gateway doesn't do NAT or
masquerading, then you won't be able to access external machines unless
you give it a routable IP address.  10.0.0.0/8 is a private network (for
use internally behind firewalls).  This in one of three address blocks
reserved for private networks, defined in RFC 1918.

Cheers,

John
--
Anything that would make me want to wear a shoulder length veterinary
glove is something that would be a valuable learning experience for the