[Techtalk] Help desk/trouble ticket/knowledge base software?

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Wed Jan 12 19:06:46 EST 2005

Just wondering what folks would recommend for help desk software. I've
installed RT (http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/) in the past, and it's pretty
decent, but it wasn't the easiest thing to install at the time (might be
easier now). I've been looking around at help desk packages and I haven't
seen anything that seems to be as full featured (and include a knowledge
base/FAQ system) except for OTRS (http://otrs.org/), which might be easier
to use (I especially like the quick links to canned e-mail responses). Both
systems are written in Perl and have been around for a while. Reading
someone else's Perl code isn't really one of my favorite past times, but I
haven't seen anything that looks as good in PHP or Python/Zope.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts on how RT compares with OTRS?

Thanks!

Jen