[Techtalk] Mounting USB devices

Marleen Garcia d.lineate at skynet.be
Sun Jan 9 03:00:51 EST 2005

On Saturday 08 January 2005 09:06, you wrote:

> > > That's not right
> >
> > Yes it is.
>
> I hate to argue, but sdc and sdc1 are not the same device.[1]  The
> one is minor number 32, the other is minor number 33.  One refers
> to a whole disk, the other refers to the first partition on a disk
> with a partition table.  If your 'cp' command actually made it
> work, the correct solution would have been to just use '/dev/sdc'
> in your /etc/fstab file to begin with.  Then there would be no
> need to do anything in /dev.
>
> Your solution is a bit like saying "cat /etc/shadow gave me
> 'permission denied', so I fixed it with 'cp -p /etc/passwd
> /etc/shadow'".
>
> [1] *Functionally* they can be the same in a few cases involving
>     non-MS-DOS-format partition tables.  That isn't the case for
> you.

No, don't argue. Maybe I didn't explain this the right way...

- Mandrake's hardware detection discoveres a number of *sdx1* usb
devices, and lists them.

- They can't be mounted, mount complains of non-existing devices.

- Looking into /dev these devices *indeed* don't exist.

- Creating them, they can be mounted.

It's not more complicated than that.

The *actual* problem is, when booting, /etc/fstab is overwritten, and
all manually added /dev/ files disappear. Some process in Mandrake
is doing this, and I can't figure out which one.

Marleen

--
http://www.bluneon.org