[Techtalk] Mounting USB devices

Peter Samuelson peter at p12n.org
Sat Jan 8 19:06:05 EST 2005

[Marleen Garcia]
> > > 	#cp -R sdc sdc1
> > > 	#cp -R sdd sdd1
> > That's not right
>
> Yes it is.

I hate to argue, but sdc and sdc1 are not the same device.[1]  The one
is minor number 32, the other is minor number 33.  One refers to a
whole disk, the other refers to the first partition on a disk with a
partition table.  If your 'cp' command actually made it work, the
correct solution would have been to just use '/dev/sdc' in your
/etc/fstab file to begin with.  Then there would be no need to do
anything in /dev.

Your solution is a bit like saying "cat /etc/shadow gave me 'permission
denied', so I fixed it with 'cp -p /etc/passwd /etc/shadow'".

[1] *Functionally* they can be the same in a few cases involving
    non-MS-DOS-format partition tables.  That isn't the case for you.

Peter