[Techtalk] PHP mail, images and user's clients.

April april at farstrider.org
Sat Feb 19 03:48:05 EST 2005

I understand generally what you're talking about, but haven't physically
sent HTML email myself (so bits of this are vague).

1)  To display an image in the body of the email, it needs to be an HTML
email.  You need to set the "type" of the email to HTML (which the
PHPMailer class can do), then the email itself needs to be in HTML.   If
you want a "Display Images" button, you might be able to cobble it
together with Javascript, but it would be cumbersome and would probably
just work on Windows machines using Outlook or Outlook Express.   It's
possible to send an email of type HTML and an email of type text
together in one email, so people see the HTML email if they can, but
people with it turned off just see text (I'm not sure exactly how to do
this).  Most mailing list keepers give people an option to choose HTML
email or text email when they sign up, since it's so hard to let them
choose later between an email with images and one without.

2)  Example:

&body=Enter the description of the problem here
&cc=helpdesk at yoursite.com&bcc=theboss at yoursite.com">
Click here to ask for tech support</a>

Just a warning... a significant number of web users would have problems
with this setup.  They're people who only use Hotmail, so don't have an
ISP pop account set up, or people who have their mail configured in one
email client but another email client is set as their default.  I
wouldn't know the exact numbers, but I'd guess maybe 20 to 40% of random
users wouldn't be able to send you an email seamlessly from a link on a
website.  You might want to look into a PHP form mail script instead.