[Techtalk] Ideas for tech subjects for teens?

Mike kenziem at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 11 03:45:07 EST 2005

On Thursday 10 February 2005 10:47, MG wrote:
> Chix,
>
> I'm a brand new teacher in my first year at a private school
> in the US. My students are between age 12 and 18 in grades
> 6 through 12.
>
> Fortunately I have a very flexible environment to work in.
> I get to create courses and teach them with almost no inter-
> ference from the administration. The school also highly
> values cross-disciplinary and real world projects.
>
> I'm encouraged to teach from my experience and avoid trad-
> itional lecturing or worksheets. As I plan the next school
> year, I'd like to get creative.
>
> What do you wish you had learned in computer classes? What
> did you learn that you think everyone else should?

How about getting them involved with the kernel janitors?
They will get exposure to most of the system.

Basic C programming, how to use an editor, how to write and test a script to
make repetitive changes.

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600
Machines to trade http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600/trade.html