[Techtalk] raid array problems

Eeva Järvinen eevaj at welho.com
Thu Dec 29 18:04:24 EST 2005

Lainaus Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org>:

> It is a hardware array. When I boot up I can go into the adaptec raid
> configuration utility, and it gives me an option to use the disk
> utility. I am given one cnannel to select #0. Should I try it? There
> are also options to use a SCSISelect Utility and an Array Configuration
> Utility.
>
> When I continue with boot, it tells me
> SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 1
> I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 6
> read_callback: read failed, status = 5
>
> It repeats this same error, with the only thing changing the sector
> (sector 6,0,2,4 all have error)
>
> Then it says
> unable to read partition table
> fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/sda1
> Possibly non-existent or swap device?
> /dev/hdc: clean, 181981/7340032 files, 11664506/14653918 blocks
>
> fsck failed. Please repair manually.
>
> I'm not sure that all of this is to do with the raid array, but it seems
> likely. It then gives me an oportunity to do maintenance or CONTROL-D to
> continue. Then computer boots up normally, except raid array is not
> mounted.

What Cynthia said.  Plus, do run the utility that came with the RAID controller;
this is often done by booting from an installation/configuration CD.  The
on-board configuration utility is usually a much more minimal (and often less
than helpful) than the full set of RAID utilities that came with the controller.

Eeva