[Techtalk] raid array problems

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Dec 29 18:09:29 EST 2005

Thanks for the tips Cynthia. I ran out and bought a 320 GB ide drive,
which I am currently restoring the home directory to for the time being,
so that we can have a working home. Once that is restored, I am going to
start playing around with the RAID array again. I am now in contact with
the person who set it up, and he is going to do a lot of the rebuilding.
This time I am going to be there for it, and document what is done (he
is terrible at documenting, which is why I had no idea what we had). He
also suspects that two of the drives have failed, but we don't want to
do anything until we have home restored and can safely play with the
RAID array on a different machine (can't pull out the scsi card until
after the restore is done).

Are there specific recommendations you would give for setting up a RAID
array?

Thanks a bunch!

cheers,
maria