[Techtalk] Dumb SUSE/gnome question

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Dec 13 01:05:32 EST 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 10:28:18PM +0800 or thereabouts, Michelle Sims
wrote:
> Doh! Somehow, the "panel" at the bottom of my screen (the one apps
> minimize to) dissapeared - not sure what I did! Any pointers to the
> correct config file/etc to put it back are appreciated

The panel is supposed to restart itself if it is killed. Presumably
it didn't. You can restart it with the command "gnome-panel" or
"gnome-panel &" (which gives you your prompt back; that's the only
visible difference) in a terminal whilst you are running Gnome.

If it tells you that it can't start a panel because there is already
one running, you might need to check a list of running processes in
case it is still running somehow. And kill it off. This might, with
luck, trigger a new panel to start. If not, try that command again.

Telsa