[Techtalk] kdmrc query

Hugo Chasqueira hchasqueira at netcabo.pt
Mon Dec 12 23:27:21 EST 2005

On Sunday, 11 de December de 2005 10:03, Patricia Fraser wrote:
> I'm using Mandriva 2006, and that might have some bearing on this query
> - they are known to do things their own way!!
>
> I'm attempting to add some arguments to kdm for X - nolisten tcp, for
> instance - and getting nowhere. In previous versions of kdm, I could add
> server arguments to /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, and kdm would respect them;
> the syntax was just to line them all up after the display instance, one
> space to separate, using a "-" to begin the new parameter. Nowadays
> this setting seems to be read from /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc, and I can't find
> a syntax it likes to let me have more than one - the item is called
> ServerArgsLocal.
>
> Anybody have any clues? It appears that Xservers isn't being read at
> all; even a way to point kdm at Xservers would be good.

Hi,

I use Mandriva 2006 too.

Mandriva has an "utility" that sets security parameters across the system,
including allowing the X server to listen to TCP requests. The "utility" also
happens to undo all changes that contradict the default configuration, unless
specified.

This utility is called msec, and its configuration files live
in /etc/security/msec.

You have to edit (or create) the file /etc/security/msec/level.local and add
the following line:

allow_xserver_to_listen (no)

You can find out other options you can put there by doing man mseclib.

There's a GUI for this. It's in Mandriva Linux Control Center -> Security ->
Set the system security level and the periodic security audit -> System
Options. You can reach the control center using the menu (System ->
Configuration -> Configure Your Computer) or by calling 'drakconf' as root in
a X terminal.

By the way, the file msec modifies to change X behavior is
indeed /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. The contents of that file of my machine is:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp
:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 vt9 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp
:3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 vt10 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp
:4 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :4 vt11 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp
:5 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :5 vt12 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp

--

Hugo Chasqueira

Public Key:
http://www.fcee.ucp.pt/docentes/url/hbc/pubkey.txt