[Techtalk] Perl module Spreadsheet::ParseExcel question

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Dec 8 13:28:52 EST 2005

Hi,

All this will be on Unix if I can bypass the SAS part.  I can, sort of
like a reverse fstab for a fat32 file, store Windows files on the Unix
servers and access them from either Windows or Unix transparently.  I know
it works for text files - it should hold true for the .xls files on Unix
accessed from Unix, though I haven't tried that yet.

I checked my diagnostic perl programs and it does look like 'use lib' is
the expression I need.  As far as I can tell from revisiting 3 month old
scripts (never turn 40 if you value your memory!), these will be added to
the  @INC array variable.  A quick check of the recommended site just
confirmed this.

This installation is fiendishly complex - Oracle is on one box, my login's
on another, I think perl's on three different ones, with paths set
depending on where and how one get in and what one runs.  It will take me
a while to completely use the information from the site you recommended,
but this definitely looks like the right track.

Thanks very much, Cass and Dan -

Kathleen

Caroline Johnston wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can't you create your own perl library somewhere you do have write access
>and tell your scripts to use that? I had a quick google and this article
>about mod_perl has a bit at the start explaining how to set up a local
>library: http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/10/mod_perl.html Not sure if
it
>works the same way on windows though.
>
>Is that any help?
>
>Cass.
>

>On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Dan wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:02:58 +0000
>> From: Dan <dan at cellectivity.com>
>> To: Techtalk <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Techtalk] Perl module Spreadsheet::ParseExcel question
>>
>>> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/04/10/mod_perl.html
>>
>> Good link. I think what Kathleen will find most interesting is this
part
>> (a few paragraphs from the end of the first page):
>>
>> "As we have installed the Perl modules into nonstandard directories, we
>> have to let Perl know where to look for the four directories. There are
>> two ways to accomplish this: You can set the PERL5LIB environment
>> variable or you can modify the @INC variable in your scripts."
>>
>> The following paragraphs give more detail. There's probably a
>> command-line flag as well, but I don't know what it is.
>

>I think it's -I (for @INC, maybe?

Cxx