[Techtalk] No DVDs for Linux?

Gebhard Dettmar gebhard.dettmar at student.hu-berlin.de
Mon Dec 5 02:45:34 EST 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:20, Conor Daly wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:47:07PM -0800 or so it is rumoured
> hereabouts,
>
> [...]
>
> As I understand it, CSS encryption has nothing to do with copy
> protection. It's simply a device to prevent the manufacture and/or
> distribution of DVD players that have not been licensed by the DVD
> producers.  In combination with the US DMCA and the European Union
> Copyright Directive {EUCD}, it is now a criminal offence to play a DVD
> on anything other than an approved DVD player or with an approved DVD
> playing program.

Ah, great to know that. So e.g. vlc in combination with libdvdcss and I
forgot what I had to install on Win2k to enable vlc to watch DVDs - some
crack-tool that enabled me to copy the whole DVD (although I don't even
want that - I just want to be able to watch it) is not an approved
DVD-Player? I replaced XP Home with Debian Woody and Win2k on my girl
friend's laptop. I had 2 DVDs - one always failed to open before that
crack was installed which I don't understand, because I thought they all
use CSS - so either all fail or none. In Linux (Debian Woody) libdvdcss
report the cracked files and on the eighth or so, when you already think
it works, comes the error message. The other one works. So of the 2 DVDs
both work on Win2k (vlc + some DVD-crack tool) on Woody (vlc + libdvdcss)
only one. I don't have the laptop here so I cannot reproduce the error
right now)

> Sorry, I tell a lie.  It does have something to do with copy protection.
> Copy protection is the lie used to justify the use of CSS encryption to
> erode fair use rights under copyright law...

And thus force the user to run into illegal tools - not to do what they're
supposed to, just to be able to do what he paid for - I really appreciate
this great policy {do I sound a bit cynical here??}

> Conor {do I sound a bit cynical here??}

Not at all ;-)))
regards Gebhard
--
The human race is a race of cowards; and I am not only marching in that
procession but carrying a banner.