[Techtalk] apt-get hell?

Doc Nielsen docnielsen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 09:38:00 EST 2005

> If that's not correct, I'm sure some nice person on this list can set
> both of us straight  :)

Not to rub it in or anything:

   update - Retrieve new lists of packages
   upgrade - Perform an upgrade
   install - Install new packages (pkg is libc6 not libc6.deb)
   remove - Remove packages
   source - Download source archives
   build-dep - Configure build-dependencies for source packages
   dist-upgrade - Distribution upgrade, see apt-get(8)
   dselect-upgrade - Follow dselect selections
   clean - Erase downloaded archive files
   autoclean - Erase old downloaded archive files
   check - Verify that there are no broken dependencies

update gets the list. upgrade gets the latest normal software.

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
intelligently handles changing dependencies with  new  versions  of
packages;  apt-get  has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it
will attempt to upgrade the most important  packages  at  the  expense
 of less important ones if necessary.

Man and help combined...

- Doc
--
Evry little box should have a pat on the back by uid 0 at least once a day
Even a tux or a beastie needs love, just like I do :o)