[Techtalk] name resolution problem with PHP

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Wed Sep 29 13:21:52 EST 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 04:16:41AM -0500, Meredth L. Patterson wrote:
> Basically, if you're on a DHCP lease which gets renewed
> and your DNS server changes, PHP can get confused even though
> command-line name resolution works okay.

This box isn't on a DHCP lease, so I'm guessing that's a dead end.

> FWIW, I tested out your script on my site, using both
> www.livejournal.com and 66.150.15.150 as the root URL; it worked fine.
> Does your script work if you use the IP address?

*Now* it's magically working fine, and I haven't changed a thing.
This same thing happened yesterday, where PHP wasn't able to resolve
names for a significant period of time, and then it's suddenly able
to for a while.

When the name resolution wasn't working, the script did work when I
replaced the server name with its IP address.

--
Katie Bechtold         http://katie-and-rob.org/

All possibility of understanding is rooted in the ability to say no.
		-- Susan Sontag