[Techtalk] name resolution problem with PHP

Meredth L. Patterson mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com
Wed Sep 29 14:45:38 EST 2004

Katie Bechtold wrote:
> What is different about how PHP performs name resolution from how
> other programs on that same machine perform name resolution?

In the PHP documentation for fopen (http://us2.php.net/fopen), there is
a note from "simon at gornall dot net" which may be relevant depending
on your setup. Basically, if you're on a DHCP lease which gets renewed
and your DNS server changes, PHP can get confused even though
command-line name resolution works okay.

FWIW, I tested out your script on my site, using both
www.livejournal.com and 66.150.15.150 as the root URL; it worked fine.
Does your script work if you use the IP address? (Cf.
http://www.thesmartpolitenerd.com/test.php)

Cheers,
Meredith L. Patterson
</delurk>