[Techtalk] Reading vendor barcodes on hardware

Linda Y. Kuo illini.engineer at att.net
Fri Sep 24 18:52:55 EST 2004

   On 24 Sep 2004 at 20:22, Magni Onsoien wrote:

   > At work I have been collecting servicetags on all our student

   > workstations (Dell optiplex) this week. It was done manually as we
   had

   > no previous record of them, and nobody came up with a quick enouugh

   > solution to do it remotely (the workstations are running Win XP), so

   > half a day walking around in the labs was the solution.

   > When doing this, I couldn't help noticing that all our equipment had

   > neat barcode labels under/above the servicetag. I don't know what
   the

   > barcode contains, but I suspect it's the servicetag.

   > Has anyone here any experience with reading different vendors'
   barcode

   > labels with a commercially available barcode scanner? What kind of

   > barcodes are they? (I suspect its Code 128, see

   > http://www.makebarcode.com/specs/code_128.html)

   > I am particularly interested in reading labels on Dell hardware

   > (servers, workstations and monitors, but I doubt there is any

   > difference) plus on SunRays from Sun.

   > Any experience with using these labels, including what barcode

   > scanners you used, is interesting.

   > TIA,

   > Magni :)

   > --

   Hi,

   We used bar code scanners at my previous job on Windows PC.

   The kind we bought used a "wedge". Basically, the keyboard and the
   scanner connect to the wedge which then connects to the keyboard
   connector on the PC.

   Essentially, either input from the keyboard or the scanner will act as
   input to the PC.

   We used the Symbol Technologies scanners but there are many out there.

   When you get the scanner, you scan barcodes to configure it.

   Most standard scanners on the market should be able to read the Dell
   PC barcodes.

   Linda