[Techtalk] Reading vendor barcodes on hardware

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Fri Sep 24 20:22:19 EST 2004

At work I have been collecting servicetags on all our student
workstations (Dell optiplex) this week. It was done manually as we had
no previous record of them, and nobody came up with a quick enouugh
solution to do it remotely (the workstations are running Win XP), so
half a day walking around in the labs was the solution.

When doing this, I couldn't help noticing that all our equipment had
neat barcode labels under/above the servicetag. I don't know what the
barcode contains, but I suspect it's the servicetag.

Has anyone here any experience with reading different vendors' barcode
labels with a commercially available barcode scanner? What kind of
barcodes are they? (I suspect its Code 128, see
http://www.makebarcode.com/specs/code_128.html)

I am particularly interested in reading labels on Dell hardware
(servers, workstations and monitors, but I doubt there is any
difference) plus on SunRays from Sun.

Any experience with using these labels, including what barcode scanners
you used, is interesting.

TIA,
Magni :)
--