[Techtalk] Debian versus GenToo

Gretchen Dziengel gretchen at gretchenann.com
Wed Sep 22 10:54:22 EST 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:47:42AM -0400 or thereabouts, Terri Oda wrote:
> Truth be told, though, I haven't tried unstable -- how unstable is it
> really?

IMHO not unstable at all -- compared to other OS's that need to be
rebooted every x days. :-)

I run unstable.
I upgrade fairly regularly and unless I try push something I haven't had
any major breakages.  I haven't had any software problems that weren't
caused by dependencies.  Last major problem I had was when I tried to
upgrade to KDE 3.2, it wasn't in unstable yet and I downloaded some
packages but did something wrong because not everything would install
due to depencies and I forced it and then it got really messed up.  I
used fluxbox for a while.

I run unstable on my desktop which I consider a 'critical' machine that
needs to stay up.  I run an ssh server - to get in from work, and
so hubby and I can tunnel VNC and have it encrypted.  I run a
mailserver, and pull mail from other accounts so no matter how many
e-mail addresses I have, I don't miss any mail.  I run my website which
is mostly for my personal use. (I should really pretty it up.)

Anyway, unstable isn't really unstable....

Gretchen