[Techtalk] Debian versus GenToo

Colleen Hatfield evilpig at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 08:58:36 EST 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:47:42 -0400, Terri Oda <terri at zone12.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Truth be told, though, I haven't tried unstable -- how unstable is it
> really?

I run unstable on my desktops.  In my experience, it's not "unstable"
as far as crashes or anything like that, but when it breaks, it breaks
spectacularly (usually dependency problems).  That doesn't happen very
often though.  The big annoyance about unstable (which is also one of
the best things about unstable) is that the packages are constantly
being updated.  The best way to avoid spectacular breakage is to only
apply the upgrades to stuff that you think needs to be upgraded,  but
that takes a lot more research.  I'm generally too lazy to read every
changelog, so I just cross my fingers and apt-get upgrade away ;-).

- Colleen