[Techtalk] Linux and Laptops

Noir acknak_halflife at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 13:45:34 EST 2004

> but otherwise hw support is getting better and
> better

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite R4R two days ago. So
here's my 0.02% on linux and laptop:

The machine is a P-IV 3.2 GHz w/ DVD burner, Wifi,
60GB HDD; it uses Windows compatible sound card
(AC97(?)), a winmodem and graphics is ATI Raedon
(spelling?).

My OS of choice is OpenBSD and it won't even boot in
the laptop. So I switched back to the next best thing:
Slackware 9.1. Slacky installed fine, excellent X
window (KDE and xfce) and everything. BUT it doesn't
detenct the winmodem, the wifi and ATI graphics in not
supported if you want to do 3D image rendering. Oh,
and did I say that there's no sound?!

Solution: Slacky currently runs on kernel 2.4.22 and
to get wifi I need to upgrade to kernel 2.6. And I
_think_ that will also help me to detect my modem and
sound card as well (BTW, this sound card is fully
compatible w/ OpenBSD > 3.5.). If not ALSA project is
there!

ATI graphics are supported by the latest version of
X11 so I need to upgrade that one as well. And
everything should work fine after that.

--Noir.