[Techtalk] Procite Alternative

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sat Sep 4 07:49:13 EST 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 08:04:34PM +1000, Sue Stones wrote:
> Being able to do the bibliography and export it in the right format may
> well be usefull. But it seems that for the full functionality I will
> have to learn to use LaTeX, which is all very well but it takes time!
>
> I will have to put it onto the "to do when I have time" list.  (it a
> very long list).

You might want to try out LyX (http://www.lyx.org) which takes the pain
out of using LaTeX; it's a graphical document processor that uses LaTeX
as a back end.  One of the cool things about it is that if you want to
get "under the hood" (and code LaTeX stuff yourself) you can do that,
but if you don't want to, you don't have to.  It takes care of all the
tedious normal coding part of LaTeX, so you can restrict your LaTeX
usage to just the fancy stuff, or nothing at all, if that's what you
prefer.  When I started off using it, I knew nothing of LaTeX, and the
only reason I didn't remain in blissful ignorance was because I wanted
to produce documents that weren't academic reports, and were therefore
not covered by the default cases.

It works with BibTeX, but I cannot comment on how well it does so,
because I've never had need to use BibTeX.

Kathryn Andersen