[Techtalk] Slow DNS

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 17:17:13 EST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

> On 12/10/04 12:45 +0100, David Sumbler wrote:
> One little trick that I would recommend is to run your own caching
> resolver. Use the listen-on directive of BIND to restrict the lookups to
> your loopback interface, and use 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver entry in
> resolv.conf.
>
> options {
> 	directory "/var/named";
> 	listen-on {
> 		127.0.0.1;
> 	};
> };
>
> logging {
> 	category "lame-servers" {
> 		"null";
> 	};
> };
>
> zone "." IN {
> 	type hint;
> 	file "named.ca";
> };

This sounds a great idea in principle, but as I have no experience of
BIND (and only a vague idea of what it is) I think this is a little
impractical at present for me.  I don't even know what I'm supposed to
do with the above script!

But thanks for the tip, and I dare say somebody will find it very
beneficial.

David