[Techtalk] Slow DNS

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Tue Oct 12 20:52:45 EST 2004

On 12/10/04 12:45 +0100, David Sumbler wrote:
> Looks as if the problem is solved.  I changed my primary DNS to one of
> my ISP's authorative servers, rather than the cached ones they
> normally suggest.  Seems to have cured the problem.

Misconfigured servers :). They should not recurse.

> The strange thing is, they say they are not aware of any problems with
> the system, but I have had this slow DNS for days - ever since my
> upgrade to Fedora Core 2.
>
> So is there any way my system could be part of the problem I was
> experiencing?

Not that I am aware of.

One little trick that I would recommend is to run your own caching
resolver. Use the listen-on directive of BIND to restrict the lookups to
your loopback interface, and use 127.0.0.1 as the nameserver entry in
resolv.conf.

options {
	directory "/var/named";
	listen-on {