[Techtalk] Re: Monitoring Programs

gab gab at gorge.net
Fri Oct 8 06:08:46 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 19:00, techtalk-request at linuxchix.org wrote:
> Would like to know if there are monitoring programs that monitor the
> following: server processes, memory, bandwidth, routers,
> servers, hosts.
>
> What do you use for this?

I use a combination of things:  NMIS for network equipment & connections
between, basic server up/down monitoring; a customized Big Brother for
more specific server up/down, mem & process monitoring; and good ol'
mrtg/RRD for testing & development of new stuff. :)

It really depends on what you want to do, and who (as in which human) is
going to be looking at the output.  You?  Level1 Support?  *gasp*
Management?  IME, everyone wants to see something different - You need
gnat's-ass detail graphs etc to find problems & fix them, Level1 needs
more of an overview, and management wants pretty pictures with nothing
red in them.

Something to keep in mind, depending on what exactly you want to do:
each app has its own strengths and weaknesses. It's likely that you
won't get one single "out-of-the-box" product that does exactly what you
want.  <VOE>So make sure you test well, & choose something that *you*
can [learn to] modify instead of purchasing a product you have to wait
(and pay) for someone else to modify.</>

gabrielle