[Techtalk] url port forward?

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Fri Oct 1 16:17:28 EST 2004

Hi overhaul,

There is another potential solution to this situation, assuming you have
an account on server B, which is an SSH tunnel.  Advantage to this is
that it only requires setup on your home machine C, not on server B -
unless server B doesn't have an SSH server which would be surprising.

You do it like this:

$ ssh -L 80:server.A:80 yourusername at server.B

and enter your password on server B when prompted.  (As with any ssh
session, if your username on C is the same as on B, you can leave out
the yourusername@ bit.)

Then from your machine you can access server A as 'localhost'.  (If you
need to use a different hostname for some reason, you can pick one and
put it in your hosts file as an alias for 127.0.0.1)

To break down the command line bit:

the -L option tells ssh to set up an outgoing tunnel

the 80's are the ports on your machine and on server A (I don't remember
which is which and am too lazy to look it up)

the bit in between the 80's, "server.A", is a reference to server A as
server B would resolve it.  This bit was confusing to me for a while,
but it's just as if you logged onto server B, and then went to ping,
telnet, scp, wget, etc. to server A.  Use the same name or IP address
you would with any of those other tools.

finally, yourusername at server.B simply says what machine to ssh TO.

The ssh tunnel will stay open as long as you keep the shell open, so you
could conceivably do this once and it'll stick until you shut down or go
offline.  Otherwise, just set up the tunnel at the start of your online
session.  You might be able to set it up to tunnel automatically when
you log on - someone else will have to advise on this part, though!

Disclaimer: I've done this a LOT in my own office/home setup, but there
may be something about your setup that makes this solution non-optimal
or even impossible, that I might have missed.  I'm really not very
knowledgable about networking in general, I just happen to do this
specific thing constantly!

Rachel