[Techtalk] url port forward?

overhaul overhaul at littledeath.net
Fri Oct 1 11:08:53 EST 2004

Hello all,

I have a small problem I hope someone can help with...

I have a webserver that will only allow port 80 access from a select few
source ip's.    I am trying to set up a sortof url "hop" so I can access
this server from anywhere by making it look as tho I'm coming from one
of the allowed ip sources.     The reason for this is my home ip is
dynamic and I don't want to have to constantly update the ipf rules on
this server everytime my ip changes.  Opening the server up to my entire
isp is not an option either.

I was told I could set up something called a "url forward?" whereby I
can access server "A" from server "C"(home) by pulling up a url on
server "B".  server "B" which is allowed access by "A" then redirects
the request coming from "C" to "A" giving it it's own source ip.

I know how to setup port forwarding on a router but I don't want to
forward EVERY request on B to A and I don't think that changes request
source ip anyway.

I hope my desription isn't too confusing.

I'm thinking it has to do with proxy.   apache module mod_proxy.c..
anybody know how to do this?

thanks,
-o