[Techtalk] Migrating PGP to GPG

robin mcadams robin at nerdcore.org
Sat Nov 13 03:03:10 EST 2004

Hi chix,

I have a key that I generated with PGP5, and I used the PGP5 suite of
programs with Mutt to sign messages and all that. Shortly thereafter, I
switched to GnuPG 1.2.4 and imported my public and private keys, because the
gpg programs seem to be a lot less flaky on this system. I also switched
around some mutt rcfiles to use gpg as well.

The change was pretty seamless; however, I've noticed that my key looks
completely different, except for some bits at the beginning, when I export
it with gpg -armor --export instead of with pgpk -x. Can anyone explain
what's up with this? Is it the same key? Which one should I distribute?

/robin

--
There's a lot of BIG MONEY in MISERY if you have an AGENT!!