[Techtalk] kernel problems on a cluster

Val Henson val.henson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 17:50:23 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:44:37 -0800, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a cluster of diskless machines, that boot off the network.  I
> have been upgrading them slowly.  I have two machines that are running
> successfully with a new motherboard and processor.  I have been trying
> to install the exact same model motherboard and processor (and at least
> once exactly the same motherboard and processor) into *any* of the other
> machines, and I can't boot with it.

This sounds a heck of a lot like a really common problem when you do
anything at all with a motherboard: shorts from stand-off screws in
the wrong place.

You know those little bolts that you screw into the case and then you
attach the motherboard to with screws?  If the stand-off screw touches
the motherboard anywhere other than where it is supposed to (usually a
little hole with a metal rim), then the motherboard will more than
likely be shorted out, causing bizarre and unpredictable behavior.
Often, there are far more holes in the case for the stand-off screws
than you actually need.  Check your new motherboard against the
stand-off screws in the case and see if they match up with proper
holes.  If you're not sure if one belongs, get rid of it - it's okay
if the motherboard is missing a screw or two.

Hope that helps - if you think of anything else relevant, let us know.

-VAL