[Techtalk] Can't get to http://linuxchix.org

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 22:24:59 EST 2004

For some weeks now I have not been able to visit the LinuxChix
web-site, as I reported previously.

I tried traceroute and mtr as Carla suggested, and they were OK.

In fact, the problem seems to be with my computer: I have set up a
Windows 98SE machine on my LAN (which consists only of these two
machines and a router), and it loads the LinuxChix home page without
any problem.

The browser is not the problem: I've just changed from Firefox 0.8 to
Firefox 1.0 and the problem is still there; also Konqueror and Links
won't load the page either.  I always get a "waiting for
linuxchix.org" or similar message.

I am running Fedora Core 2 - it is just possible that the problem
might have started when I upgraded from FC1: I can't say, because I
only visit http://linuxchix.org very occasionally.

Can anybody suggest where the problem might lie?  I haven't found a
problem with any other sites that I use regularly, although I am
perhaps finding more links than usual that seem not to load.

I don't think it's an iptables problem, but just so that you can see,
here is the output of 'iptables -L -v --line-numbers':

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
1    6251K  501M RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
1        0     0 RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 6247K packets, 373M bytes)
num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
num   pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
1        0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     clock2.redhat.com    anywhere            udp spt:ntp dpt:ntp
2        0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     clock3.redhat.com    anywhere            udp spt:ntp dpt:ntp
3      660 50160 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     clock1.redhat.com    anywhere            udp spt:ntp dpt:ntp
4        0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  any    any     clock1.redhat.com    anywhere            udp spt:ntp dpt:ntp
5    6034K  355M ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere
6      273 16632 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
7        0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
8        0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
9     215K  146M ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
10       0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:5801
11       0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:5901
12     283 16544 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
13     611 69007 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

David