[Techtalk] Can't get to http://linuxchix.org

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 03:13:17 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Elwing wrote:

>>> Have you checked to see if it may be DNS on your machine?  Maybe a
>>> different configuration or something similar.  Other comments inline.
>>

>> What exactly should I be looking at?  DNS seems to be OK when I use
>> the hostname "linuxchix.org" with traceroute, telnet and other
>> commands.
>
> Seems like DNS is "OK" then, since you're resolving it correctly.
>

>>> what happens if you use telnet or netcat and make the HTTP connection
>>> "raw" - it might help pinpoint why you can't connect
>>

>> Sorry, I don't know how to do this.  I would need more information.
>>

> Use telnet linuxchix.org 80
> and nothing will seem to happen :)
> as soon as you get the telnet "connected" message, type
> GET / HTTP/1.0
>
> <you need to hit enter twice>
>
> That makes a super simple raw HTTP request to the server.  You should get
> back a bunch of text.  Either scroll up to see a line that looks like:
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> or use shell redirection:
> -bash-2.05b$ telnet linuxchix.org 80 > output
> and look at the output file (don't forget to still type in the GET request!)

OK, I've tried this a couple of times.  After I type 'GET / HTTP/1.0'
(and I remembered to press "Enter" twice) I get nothing at all.

If I type 'logout' I get

Connection closed by foreign host.

so it looks as if I was connected OK (well, sort-of OK).

> A session from my machine (freeBSD) looks like:
> -bash-2.05b$ telnet linuxchix.org 80
> Trying 203.7.155.11...
> Connected to linuxchix.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET / HTTP/1.0          <------  Type this line followed by 2 enters
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:37:23 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Debian GNU/Linux)
> Cache-Control: max-age=3600
> Expires: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:37:23 GMT
> Connection: close
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> I didn't include a lot of other options you could give it to trigger a
> response, but you should see a HTTP 200 message - if so, you've made a
> connection to the web server, and your "network" is OK, so it's time to look
> elsewhere for problems, but I can't think for the life of me what it could
> be.

That seems to be where we're up to.  It's a mystery.

David