[Techtalk] Can't get to http://linuxchix.org

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Thu Nov 11 02:42:23 EST 2004

>> Have you checked to see if it may be DNS on your machine?  Maybe a
>> different configuration or something similar.  Other comments inline.
>

> What exactly should I be looking at?  DNS seems to be OK when I use
> the hostname "linuxchix.org" with traceroute, telnet and other
> commands.

Seems like DNS is "OK" then, since you're resolving it correctly.

>> what happens if you use telnet or netcat and make the HTTP connection
>> "raw" - it might help pinpoint why you can't connect
>

> Sorry, I don't know how to do this.  I would need more information.

Use telnet linuxchix.org 80
and nothing will seem to happen :)
as soon as you get the telnet "connected" message, type
GET / HTTP/1.0

<you need to hit enter twice>

That makes a super simple raw HTTP request to the server.  You should
get back a bunch of text.  Either scroll up to see a line that looks like:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
or use shell redirection:
-bash-2.05b$ telnet linuxchix.org 80 > output
and look at the output file (don't forget to still type in the GET request!)

A session from my machine (freeBSD) looks like:
-bash-2.05b$ telnet linuxchix.org 80
Trying 203.7.155.11...
Connected to linuxchix.org.
Escape character is '^]'.