[Techtalk] LaTeX/LyX question

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Nov 4 05:48:36 EST 2004

On Nov 3, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Beth Johnson wrote:
> Whew! It's been a very long time since I had a question I couldn't
> easily find the answer to.
>
> I have a book about ready to submit for publication, and I need to
> tweak
> my formatting. I'm using LyX for the master document, and I've added
> the
> appropriate info to the document preamble to give me needed things like
> the correct header, ragged right margins without hyphenation, etc. But
> the last thing I need to do is have the document underline all the
> emphasized text, instead of formatting it in italics.
>
> Anybody know how I can define the emphasis to do this?

You can do this by redefining the emphasis command using renewcommand:

\renewcommand{cmd}[args]{def}

So for what you want, it'd be...

\renewcommand{\emph}[1]{\underline{#1}}

(This goes in the document preamble or a style file of some sort,
whatever works for you).

  Terri

PS - Beth, I love your email address!