[Techtalk] Running Win under Lin (was: Politeness and the purpose of Techtalk)

Andrea Landaker qirien at icecavern.net
Thu Nov 4 02:08:17 EST 2004

> I'm curious as to how ya'll on this list, if ya'll do, get to windows
> programs. Win4Lin, VmWare(pricey?)..or wine perhaps..what's the popular
> mode of transportation here..or perhaps there's some program I don't know
> about..

I usually just reboot into Windows if I need to run something, but the only
Windows programs I run are games and a greeting card/calendar creator
program.

I also use dosemu and dosbox for a few old DOS games.

It's worth trying a program with wine to see if it will run -- if you're
really determined, you can often tweak settings and fiddle around with it and
get programs to work under wine even if they don't at first.  Some sites to
look at include www.winehq.com and frankscorner.org.

--
Andrea Landaker
http://www.icecavern.net/~qirien/