[Techtalk] poll: fave Linux IMAP MUA

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sun May 16 17:22:32 EST 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> On 15/05/04 22:20 -0700, Cynthia Kiser wrote:
> > Quoting Teri Solow <tsolow at terisolow.com> :
> >
> > Mutt. Probably the main thing I like about it is it invokes emacs
> > for
> mutt.  All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less.

Actually, I find tha mutt's IMAP support sucks really quite a lot. In
particular, if you use the "mailboxes" command to check for mail in
mailboxes other than your spool file, opening *any* mailbox takes a
considerable period of time.

My two IMAP solutions:

 1. Evolution

 Its IMAP support is also a little buggy I believe, but serves its
 purpose. I can't think of anything in particular to say about
 Evolution, I haven't done comparison with the GUI alternatives (eg
 Thunderird, KMail).

 2. Mutt + offlineimap

 This has been mentioned elsewhere. Mutt is a powerful console mail
 client, and offlineimap mirrors the mailboxes to a local copy. (I think
 it can mirror between two IMAP servers too.)

-Mary