[Techtalk] XF86Config woes

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Tue May 11 00:18:35 EST 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:12:34PM +0200, Rudy L. Zijlstra wrote:
> (...)
> OK, i have downloaded the relevant documentation from Intel (try finding
> something fast on that website...), and finaly on page 528 they provide
> the register settings for a 1920x1440 at 60Hz resolution. So the integrated
> video (845G chipset, superset of 810) should be able to do it.
>
> I've been using the following modeline generators with no luck:
> http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl (The same one Carla
> was pointing at) and
> http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines
>
> Any further ideas?

not entirely sure, but a quick check on http://www.xfree86.org makes
me believe that the mode you want to run might not be supported by the
i810 driver you're using.

At least the page http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/i8102.html#2 states
that: "Support for high resolution video modes up to 1600x1200".
Presuming this info is correct, you are out of luck with this driver.

The page http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/845driver.html seems to have
some more info (slightly contradicting to the above, though) -- don't
know whether you've come across that one already.  Haven't read it from
start to end, but the "known problems" section appears to have stuff
that might apply...

Btw, do you get anything like:

Mode: 5a (1600x1200)
	ModeAttributes: 0x9a
	WinAAttributes: 0x7
	WinBAttributes: 0x0
Mode: 5c (1920x1440)

i.e. is the 1920x1440 mode mentioned there?  (the "5c" is just made up
by myself...)

Good luck,
Almut