[Techtalk] Sendmail question #2

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Wed Mar 31 00:29:35 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 04:34:36PM -0600 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Kathryn Hogg thought:

> MailScanner lets you do alot of nice things with spam & viruses.  I've
> chosen to have it eat viruses and all spam with a SpamAssasin score of 7
> or higher.  Any other spam with a score of 5 or higher has [SPAM] added to
> the subject and an X-<mydomain>-SpamScore header that I have procmail
> configured to deliver to a 'junk' folder.

Have you tried 'teergrubing' (tarpit) the spammer?  Essentially, when you
get a positive for spam, you start responding (typically once per second)
with '451 wait for more info' messages.  This will keep the spammer
hanging on until you finally send the '450 no spam please' reject.  AIUI,
this does not generate a bounce but just slows down the spammer.  I bet I
have those numbers wrong also.

Enough of these teergrub setups would effectively throttle the spam
relays.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)