[Techtalk] Java textbook recommendations

Becky L. Norum bnorum at coe.neu.edu
Tue Mar 30 14:21:23 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> Thinking in Java, Bruce Eckel.
> Free download, but worth buying.

TIJ is _very_ good, but I would hold off on that unless you have
significant experience programming in other languages or until you have
more basic Java under your belt.  Imho, it can be a little overwhelming
in teh beginning, though should be required reading for any Java programmer.

Other than the online tutorials, I've never found a great intro Java book
I'd recommend.  If you have no programming experience, Deitel is decent;
if you've had C or C++, you'll probably not enjoy it.

Another place to look for the basics is the Java 101 series on Javaworld.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2000/jw-0331-java101.html?

Best,

Becky